FYI: If you are looking for information on setting up a true Roland MPU-401 (or LAPC-I, SCC-1, MPU-401AT or MPU-IPC-T) under actual DOS, then click here to be redirected to our “MPU-401 under DOS” page.
Roland SMPU DOS Driver SMPUENA.EXE
Probably the most common driver that people want to download from this page is the driver needed to use a Roland Super MPU (SMPU) card I or II under DOS mode. This driver (SMPUENA.EXE) is a bit hard to find on line, but thanks to Mr. Endre Zibolen we are able to offer a copy of the DOS driver here. Big thanks goes to Endre for his help.
Download the Roland Super MPU SMPU I or II DOS Mode Driver: SMPUENA.EXE (actually SMPUENA.zip)
Roland MPU-401 Drivers for Windows 3.1 and Windows 95
- WIN31/RDSMIDI.DRV (serial MIDI driver)
- WIN31/RDVCBD.386 (virtual driver for the serial port)
- WIN31/RDMPU401.DRV (MPU401 MIDI driver)
- WIN31/OEMSETUP.INF (setup information file)
- WIN95/RDSMID95.DRV (serial MIDI driver)
- WIN95/RDSMID95.INF (setup information file)
- UNIST/ (the driver's uninstaller app)
Download the Roland MPU-401 Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 Drivers (MPU401.ZIP)
Roland Basic DOS and Win3.1 SMPU Drivers
The basic DOS and Win3.1 driver for the SMPU cards. This Roland driver includes the following files:
- PATCHER.EXE (Roland Super MPU MIDI Manager for IBM AT and Compatible, Version 1.0 November 30, 1992)
- SMPUMIXW.EXE (Roland SMPU mixer app for Windows 3.1)
Download the basic DOS / Windows 3.1 driver for the Roland MPU-401(SMPU.EXE)
Windows 95 Roland Super MPU AT Drivers
The Windows 95 driver for the Roland Super MPU I/F a.k.a Roland Super MPU AT (16bit and 32bit mode drivers).
This Roland driver (SMPUAT.EXE) contains the following six files:
- WIN/SMPU/ RDSMPU16.DLL
- WIN/SMPU/ RDSMPU32.DLL
- WIN/SMPU/ RDSMPU95.DRV (Roland SuperMPU Enhanced Mode Driver(VxD) for Microsoft Windows95, version 126.96.36.199)
- WIN/SMPU/ RDSMPU95.INF
- WIN/SMPU/ RDSMPU95.VXD
- WIN/SMPU/ README.TXT
Download the driver for the Roland Super MPU I/F (SMPUAT.EXE)
Windows NT Roland Super MPU Drivers
Roland Serial MIDI Driver for Windows NT Ver. 1.0
This Roland driver (SERIALNT1.ZIP) contains the following files:
- DRV/OEMSETUP.INF (Settings File)
- DRV/RDSMIDNT.DLL (Serial MIDI User Mode Driver)
- DRV/RDSMIDNT.EXE (Serial MIDI Kernel Mode Driver)
- DRV/RDSMIDNT.SYS (Serial MIDI Support Program)
- DISK1 (Windows NT driver install disk)
NOTICE: the Roland driver below is for the “Super MPU II” version, not the original “Super MPU” (a.k.a “Super MPU I”) interface.
Windows 95 Roland Super MPU II AT Drivers
The Windows 95 driver for the Roland Super MPU II I/F a.k.a Roland Super MPU II AT (16bit and 32bit mode drivers).
This Roland driver (SMPU2AT.EXE) contains the following six files:
- RDSMPU95.DRV (Roland SuperMPU Enhanced Mode Driver(VxD) for Microsoft Windows95, version 188.8.131.52)
Download the driver for the Roland Super MPU II AT (SMPU2AT.EXE)
Roland SMPU (I and II) Drivers for Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows ME
I do not have a setup to test this driver but it is believed that this is the most recent Windows driver available for the Roland SMPU line of cards. If you have a Roland SMPU and wish to use it under Windows, this is probably the best place to start.